ostrich won't communicate with ecu.

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: hx35
ostrich won't communicate with ecu.
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »
So my car has been down 2 years. Put it back together and it won't fire up. I flip both dip switches up and it randomly hits, tries to crank, then nothing, switches are back in the proper position now. Just moved them to check. Laptop communication with ostrich is fine, it will load and download the tune but boost gauge won't zero. Did a hard reset of the ostrich,  it accepted the tune, boost gauge zeroed but the car will sputter a little then nothing. Updated the ftdi drivers, jackal software, replaced the battery in the ostrich. Still nothing.
Please help.

Re: ostrich won't communicate with ecu.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
Is the chip in the right direction ?
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
I havent messed with the ribbon cable or ecu. Car ran like a race horse before it broke.

vinnybean

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 1G (large ports)
    • Turbo: 14b
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
just thinking out loud here because the car ran before. Have you checked all the basics like if it actually has spark and fuel pressure? If it sputters usually that means its got spark, but might be erratic. Try some propane or starting fluid see if it fires. My walbro shit the bed after it sat for a year.

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
Brand new aem 340lph,  pressure set at 43ish no vacuum.  Can smell fuel in the exhaust

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
I can move the dip switches up and it will almost start. Remove the ostrich and it will almost start. Hook it back up and it will hit 3 or 4 times then just spin over

vinnybean

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »
Its been a long time since i've messed around with tuning software on these. When you remove the ostrich do you mean you're plugging another ecu in? Whats you mod list look like? (injectors mainly)

The only time i've experienced something similar was on a link car. The harness was heavily tampered with and it was actually missing a switched ignition power to the ecu. The car would sputter for a few revolutions then crank not even trying to fire.

depending on the time in between all your efforts of cranking, i might rip the plugs out to dry. Then you can verify there all wet, and make sure there sparking at the same time. (not literally at the same time. like kill two birds with 1 stone)

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
I haven't tampered with anything inside the car.

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Purplish blue spark, fuel injectors are clicking.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »
pull a spark plug and ground the head while you crank it over, and figure out if you are, or are not getting spark. Appears that you are getting everything but that.

So start with the basic diagnosis. Fuel injectors firing means the ostrich and eprom are all working as intended.
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Already verified I'm getting spark.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:54 AM »
If you can log, verify coolant, iat, and the map sensor.

If the coolant sensor is jacked, remove the coolant enrichment, to see if you can get it up and running.

If everything is in order and its still not staying on its feet,.. play with the timing.

vinnybean

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:11 AM »
Timing, compression, spark, and fuel. Its hard to keep it simple, but these are the things that are needed for an engine to run. They need to be verified properly. Sometimes seeing spark isn't good enough. At the least if you know the engine is timed correctly, has good compression, and spark the car should run on an alternate fuel. A quick shot of starter fluid is the quickest way. If it fires you know its fuel related, if it doesn't you know its spark or timing. Once you know which it is you can figure out why easier. Can you log? ave you verified the coolant sensor and intake sensors appear normal?

1983gsp

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
Bank 0 will not do anything. It will communicate with the laptop but won't communicate with the ecu. Won't hold a tune. Bank 1 works sometimes but still will not make changes to the tune. I ordered a new ostrich.

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »
i heard it running in the background  :clap :hug