Why I hate DSMer's.........well, some of them anyway

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: HTA DSM76
Why I hate DSMer's.........well, some of them anyway
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »
OK, so I have had my eye out for a block that I can slowly build as time and money allows.  My motor is fine, but I would like to do something a little different and have a backup for if/when my current motor goes kaboom.

So I see on CL this 93 eclipse hit this salvage yard, and it still had motor, trans, etc.  Since I am halfway to the yard due to where I work, I decided I would go check it out.  (I was also looking to see if it had leather interior as I need a passenger seat).  I had called before I went and the dude said he wanted $xxx for the motor.  Too high for a stock motor as I have bought whole cars for less than that, but I decide what the heck, lets go take a look.

I get there and start poking around.  Powder coated VC, ebay 20g turbo that looked new, I pop the oil cap and take a look inside and head looks amazingly clean.  I can also see it has an MLS.  Timing belt was in tact and wasn't snapped, etc.  The car was a 93 but this was a 6 bolt that had been swapped in. All i'm really after is the block, but I think to myself, well, the head is rebuilt, and it has some other accessories on it so all in all I should be able to resell the head, the cams if they are upgraded, and some of the accessories to offset the total cost and get me in line with where I want to be with the block.  So I purchase it.

2 days later I decide to disassemble it and see what's up with this motor.  I pop the valve cover off, and I am instantly filled with fury, and a sick feeling in my gut.  The fkn cam caps are all mismatched.  It would go exhaust exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, etc.  On both sides.  So now I am like, great, now the journals are all fudged up, which means this head is probably worthless.  So I angrily start removing the caps and and looking at the journals, and sure enough, a couple are scored.  Freakin great.  I also see it has BC 272 cams.  One cam looks fine, the other has some minor scoring, so I will  need to take to the machine shop and see if they think its usable or not. 

I also see it has ARP's, so I am like, OK, well there is something I can use to help offset my cost at least.  So I go to untorque them, and as I am pulling the nuts off, I see they didn't use any washers!  FFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!!  I proceed to pull the head off, almost wanting to throw it across my garage, and I turn it over to see what kind of milling job had been done, and I can see horizontal lines, and I can feel them across the surface of the head.  It felt like the file part on a pair of fingernail clippers.  How the heck do you run and MLS gasket with a surface like ?!?!?!?!?

So I put the head to the side and go to start pulling the studs out and 6 of them are torqued in there so hard I can't get them out using an allen head.  So what do I do, I get a freakin pipe wrench to get them out, and chock those up as a loss too.

So now we are down to the block.  From what I can tell, its stock pistions, the walls look good with hone makes still there, blah blah blah so we should be good there.  I go to pull the water pipe off and as I am disconnecting the hose that goes to the water pipe, I see it's 2 hoses connected with something, like a male coiple with some clamps.  So I undo the clamps, pull the hoses apart, and there is a 3/8" socket in there connecting the two hoses.  WTF.

So I step back after my eyes have ran dry from crying all the tears I can cry, and wonder to myself, what the heck is wrong with people?
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

ForceFed86

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Head: 1G (large ports)
    • Turbo: HX40
Re: Why I hate DSMer's.........well, some of them anyway
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
Mad tight tuners yo!  I went through 3 motors "In perfect running condition" finding things just like that before starting from scratch and machining a stock block I knew was good. On the upside I've got alot of spare parts now!  It's hard to find a DSM thats not been bastardized these days. 
5 speed, 6/4 Bolt, 3K on rebuilt motor deck surfaced. Weisco 8.5:1 pistons, eagle rods. OEM crank, factory port 1g head, valve job, head surfaced , new valve stem seals,  3G lifters, BC 272 cams straight up, HX40 turbo, spearco FMIC. TT supra pump, 1000cc inj, E85, SD WEREWOLF
1/4 mile= 12.2 @ 124.5

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
Why didn't you double nut the studs out ?
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
they didn't have washers anyway.  complete set of ARP's don't sell for much these days anyway, so even if I could sell them without washers, I wouldn't get much out of them any way, so screw em.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Mad tight tuners yo!  I went through 3 motors "In perfect running condition" finding things just like that before starting from scratch and machining a stock block I knew was good. On the upside I've got alot of spare parts now!  It's hard to find a DSM thats not been bastardized these days.

The stupidity just amazes me.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »
Pulled the oil pan...ohhh why would I expect anything less than a bearing that was not spun...but raped with a sandpaper condom...

whitebread

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: 16g
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
Its everywhere man. Most people are just plain scum.

Theres a guy my age in town here, he bought an amazing 2gb talon. Spent 8k on the thing. It had 60k in reciepts from AMS. A bad bish. Sadly me and a friend were taking bets on how long this thing would last. Not long was the answer. Poor car has sat for maybe 2 years now, rotting in the back 40. This thing took some abuse though. Constant daily, like wow why would you do that to your car kind of abuse.

But it gets worse. His uncle popped 3 motors, sold them off as "worked when pulled". He went to "build" his fourth engine in maybe a year. The friend i was taking bets with stopped by their shop and witnessed the carnage. The guy reamed the mains down so tight the crank wouldn't spin. So what he did was back them off just enough to allow the crank to turn over and slammed the rest together.

After hearing that i couldn't imagine what the rest of the build consisted of. Somehow this thing managed to hold together for 60 miles before it let go. But when it did, this guy cursed dsm's, cursed imports. Calling them all trash and swore he'd never buy one again. Only thing i could think of was thank god lol. But to this day the guy trash talks the 4g and blames most of it on crankwalk.

But why dont you take that shit back and get your money back. Maybe mention the words lawyer and/or lawsuit if need be.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
I acquired bigger problems this weekend...2006 C6 Vette hit my talon on the freeway, sent me into a 360.  Scary stuff.  THis is my 2nd clean DSM to get hit by someone else.   :(

1g20g

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: hx40/35
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
Good god man that motor is fine jeez id run it......
FWD-DEAD
AWD- kelford 288s, jmf drag intake, 2g head with beehives OS valves, Borg Warner s366, rest is still in the works(currently running auto with t3 hx40/35 hybrid)

whitebread

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: 16g
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
I acquired bigger problems this weekend...2006 C6 Vette hit my talon on the freeway, sent me into a 360.  Scary stuff.  THis is my 2nd clean DSM to get hit by someone else.   :(

When it rains it pours. Sorry to hear that.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »
Sure does.   :shit storm