Outlander Brakes on 1G info...

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: HTA DSM76
Outlander Brakes on 1G info...
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
OK, so I have decided that the 2G brakes are no longer good enough on my setup.  Brake boosting, multiple 40-120+ rolls, etc.  I just want better.  So I am sure that most of you by now have heard of the Outlander brake upgrade.  So I got some outlander calipers/brackets (I don't need the calipers as they are the same as the 2g calipers, but I had to buy the calipers in order to get the brackets), some SP Performance drilled/slotted rotors for an 05/06 Outlander, and some new Hawk pads.  One of the reasons I opted to go this route instead of other bigger brake routes is because I was under the impression that I would NOT have to get new rims.  I red on another DSM forum that someone test fitted the stock 16" 2g rims and they cleared the caliper by 3mm.  Well, they didn't specify which 16" 2g stock rims.  I have the 5 spokes, and they do NOT clear the rim.  The spokes rub the caliper since the outlander brackets push the 2g caliper out a bit.

That being said, there are 3 options I can thing of that will/may work. 

1.) Bigger rims
2.) Wheel spacers
3.) Grind some meat off the caliper

I will be going with option 3 as I am not will to spend any more money on this setup at this point.

I will update this thread if there are any issues after I grind on the calipers.

Ohh yeah, I have a 3g brake master cylinder in there too now, so I am thinking my braking performance should be drastically increased when this project is completed.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

Re: Outlander Brakes on 1G info...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
Grind the calipers or put a small spacer on it.
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »
The extra metal on the caliper shall be dispatched via grinder.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

1g20g

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: hx40/35
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »
I just did this with the one caliper i had at my work. I have the stock 1g swrilys and the 5 spoke wheels! I cleared the swirly and hit on the 5 spoke i played with all the options like you. I grabbed a very small spacer just to push it out it works but i dont like wheel spacers lol. i also was messing around and shaved the caliper and the inside of the wheel got total clearance now. But it dosent matter as you know my issue with the calipers haha.

Paul

P.S ryan i might be heading to Texas sooner than i thought as of right now we will be bringing 3 cars with us!
FWD-DEAD
AWD- kelford 288s, jmf drag intake, 2g head with beehives OS valves, Borg Warner s366, rest is still in the works(currently running auto with t3 hx40/35 hybrid)

1g20g

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: hx40/35
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
Also this is not rx7 wheel friendly!!!
FWD-DEAD
AWD- kelford 288s, jmf drag intake, 2g head with beehives OS valves, Borg Warner s366, rest is still in the works(currently running auto with t3 hx40/35 hybrid)

ErikTande

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 1G (large ports)
    • Turbo: 14b
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
I just did this with the one caliper i had at my work. I have the stock 1g swrilys and the 5 spoke wheels! I cleared the swirly and hit on the 5 spoke i played with all the options like you. I grabbed a very small spacer just to push it out it works but i dont like wheel spacers lol. i also was messing around and shaved the caliper and the inside of the wheel got total clearance now.

Do you have any pics of exactly where the calipers need to be shaved down?   Thanks!

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
I just did this with the one caliper i had at my work. I have the stock 1g swrilys and the 5 spoke wheels! I cleared the swirly and hit on the 5 spoke i played with all the options like you. I grabbed a very small spacer just to push it out it works but i dont like wheel spacers lol. i also was messing around and shaved the caliper and the inside of the wheel got total clearance now.

Do you have any pics of exactly where the calipers need to be shaved down?   Thanks!

Take a look at the last pic I posted.  I ground that corner of the caliper down for it's entire length.

Also, on a side note, I put a 3g brake booster and a 3g master cylinder in, and HOLY CRAP!  Braking is amazing.  :spaz