Grinding noise during launch

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Head: 1G (large ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: Hahn S16g
Grinding noise during launch
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
My car makes a grinding noise during launches and also sometimes when going in reverse at a normal speed (like backing up into a parking space). Could that be the cv axles? I already ordered a new front set so they should be here any day now, but I wanted to know if that should fix the problem.

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
Re: Grinding noise during launch
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
The car also makes a slight rattling sound during idle with my foot off the clutch.. When I push the clutch all the way in the rattling stops.. Any ideas what it could be?

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
Dual clutch ?
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
No, im running a exedy stage 2 thick disc and fidanza flywheel..

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
Put it on jacks so the tires are off the ground and leave it running in a low gear to find it /shrug
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

Rlbiker

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Turbo: fp red
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:16 PM »
How old is the clutch set up? It could be the throw out bearing or clutch chatter.
Life is like a box of nuts and bolts.

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
The clutch setup has about 2000 miles on it. I bought it used.. But will clutch chatter make it grind and make a very loud noise during launches or fast acceleration in 1st when coming from a stop?

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Here are some videos of the noise..

2.3colt

• Colt
    • Motor: 4G63 2.3L (stroked)
    • Turbo: evoIII 16
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
first vid I didnt hear anything.. 2nd one I did.. it sounded just like mine did. I drove it like that for 3k + miles before the t-belt broke and I parked it....
 when I pulled the engine apart to rebuild it the center main bearing that has the thick sides to them was completely shaved off... it wasnt spun or anything just wore really thin..( about as thin as a razor blade edge).. and the crank would move (like crankwalk) about 1/4" in and out.. (this is a 90  6 bolt engine/2.3)
so in my case im thinking the crank had issues on the center journal which caused this.(it was used).. engine only had 6k miles on it from fresh rebuild. 

hope this isnt your issue....but to be safe try to have someone watch the crank pully with engine off.. pushing and letting off the clutch to see if it moves at all.. if so then I would try to drop the oil pan and check the center bearings side walls to make sure there still thick...

Steve

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
Half of the "roar" the car was making during the launch was a grind..

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Ill check for that thank you

first vid I didnt hear anything.. 2nd one I did.. it sounded just like mine did. I drove it like that for 3k + miles before the t-belt broke and I parked it....
 when I pulled the engine apart to rebuild it the center main bearing that has the thick sides to them was completely shaved off... it wasnt spun or anything just wore really thin..( about as thin as a razor blade edge).. and the crank would move (like crankwalk) about 1/4" in and out.. (this is a 90  6 bolt engine/2.3)
so in my case im thinking the crank had issues on the center journal which caused this.(it was used).. engine only had 6k miles on it from fresh rebuild. 

hope this isnt your issue....but to be safe try to have someone watch the crank pully with engine off.. pushing and letting off the clutch to see if it moves at all.. if so then I would try to drop the oil pan and check the center bearings side walls to make sure there still thick...

Steve

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
I blew my head yesterday so Im having a mechanic do a refresh on the motor. He will be replacing the bearings, piston rings, head studs, head gasket and will surface the head and install new head seals.

Would he be able to tell if the crank pulley is loose like your saying? Could the problem also be that I bought a bad clutch? Could it be the flywheel?

2.3colt

• Colt
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
just have him look at the bearings when he pulls them out to make sure if the center one still has the thick sides on them..

Steve

slidesidwayz

• Talon TSI AWD
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
The bearings on the crank pulley? I have a lot to learn about dsms still.  :facepalm

2.3colt

• Colt
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »
the center bearing on the crankshaft...  some call it the thrust bearing... there are 5 sets that go on the crank when mounting it into the engine.. its the middle one im speaking of..
 its the 1 bearing set (2 bearings) with the side lip on them..

http://www.maperformance.com/products/cosworth_bearings.jpg

on mine the sides were worn down to where they was almost no metal at all..which caused the crank to move.

Steve