Depowered my steering rack...

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: HTA DSM76
Depowered my steering rack...
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
And so far, I like it.  I found a n/t 2.0 at the junk yard a few weeks ago.  I pulled the rack and depowered it as shown on tooners and a miata forum.  I didn't just loop the lines, I disassembled, did some cutting, readdembled with a lot of grease, and installed.  All this contrary to Curtis' advice  :shakefist :rtfm :shit storm

Curtis seems to be an advocate for 1.8 manual racks.  They get 4 turns of the steering wheel before locking as opposed to the 2.5 of the PS rack depowered.  I would imagine that if you found a manual rack in good condition, it would be much easier to go that route as you would not have to put the time into depowering.  Just rmove old rack, install new rack.

Overall though, depowering was not hard or overly complicated.  I still need to take it to get an alignment, but I took it out for about 10min yesterday driving it around and it really isn't that bad.  Definitely gives the car a different feel.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

Re: Depowered my steering rack...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

whitebread

• Talon TSI AWD
    • Head: 1G (large ports)
    • Turbo: 16g
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
How do you like it compared to the looped lines? Would you say its easier now?

I just bought another dsm and the ps pump is already cluttering up the bay haha

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Turbo: HTA DSM76
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
How do you like it compared to the looped lines? Would you say its easier now?

I just bought another dsm and the ps pump is already cluttering up the bay haha

I couldn't tell you as I never looped the lines for comparison.  I will say this, after doing quite a bit of reading, there is a reason I depowered the rack instead of looping the lines.

Looping the lines keeps fluid in the rack.  There is a stopper like a piston inside the rack that moves fluid from side to side.  Now if you just loop the line, the rack is trying to push fluid from one side to another.  You are creating resistance in the system.  By depowering the rack, and using only some grease, you eliminate that resistance.  Hence the reason I decided to depowere instead of loop.  That would lead me to believe that this is the reason I didn't think driving a depowered car was all that bad.  Harder than with PS, but not much.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings