Broken Auto Trans

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
    • Head: 2G (small ports)
    • Motor: 4G63 2.0L
    • Turbo: HTA DSM76
Broken Auto Trans
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
So a few months ago, after putting about 500mi or so on the new motor, I broke my trans.  Heard a horrible rattle above 2500rpms.  At first I thought was a motor issue since you could hear it in the crank case.  After a lot of unnecessary inspection and work with the motor, (disassembled the whole freakin' thing while it was still in the car), everything looked perfect.  No source of the noise.  Then I did what obviously should have been done in the first place.  I dropped the trans pan and sure enough stuck to the magnets were 3 identical pieces of metal.  Shaped like gear teeth.  So out came the trans.  Turned out I broke 4 teeth off the planetary.  The rebuilder said he has seen the planetaries fail on these before but it is usually due to the roller bearing failing and chunks getting caught in the planetary.  that was not the case here.  I didn't see anything broken as the cause of the failure.  We chalked it up to stress.

I also took my converter to a local place for a cut, clean, and re-balance.  Took them 7wks because they didn't have the tooling for this converter.

So I finally got everything back together a few weekends ago.  Car wouldn't drive right.  Putted around under low load o, but apply any load and rpms would go up, but the car wouldn't follow.  Would also take a full second from when the lever was put to "R" for the trans to actually go into reverse.  But when I switched to 100% vein pressure, the shift was immediate.  Right there had me guessing it is a pressure issue.

So I buy a pressure tester and a custom adapter from the guy that makes the forced four box and this past weekend I tested the pressures.  All failed horribly with the exception of one.  Well, the easiest ting to do is to remove the VB, which I did.  This was the same VB that was in the trans before that I had cleaned, inspected, and reassembled.  I took another VB I had, installed a shift kit, and installed it with along with different solenoids.

Buttoned everything up and took it for a ride around the neighborhood.  For the approximately 5mi or so I put on the car, it ran great.

Upon examination of the problem VB, there looks to be all kinds of crud/debris in the solenoid area. Not sure where it came from.  I will be disassembling, cleaning, and inspecting when I have the time.

So hopefully everything is good to go for now...until something else breaks.

The trans has Kiggly fronts, precision rebuild kit, shift kit, welded dif, different planetary obviously, and the builder made the tolerances tight and replaced the wave plates with regular straight steels for faster, firmer shifts.

Fingers crossed this think holds the powa.  I'll try to get pics up of the carnage when I get the chance.
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
Re: Broken Auto Trans
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD-Wiseco HD 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Race bearings, 2g small port head,  GSC S2 cams, MAP Ultimate Duty springs/ Evo retainers, HTA DSM76 @ 30psi, FIC 1550's, Apex'i N1 turbo back exhaust, Konis w/ GC's, megan sturt bars, poly mounts/bushings

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
quit breaking crap
AMP 2 Corinthians 8:21
For we take thought beforehand and aim to be honest and absolutely above suspicion, not only in the sight of the Lord but also in the sight of men.

Kapok6

• Eclipse GSX
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:14:12 AM »
I can't help it.  It's part of who I am.